As far as holidays go, New Years does not top my list. I'm not a huge football fan, so I find the day itself rather boring. This is a good thing. By this time in the holiday break, I've gotten most of my tedious work done, e.g., cleaning the house, taking down the tree, etc. This leaves me with a day to do nothing -- how often in a busy mom's life does that happen?!
I'm not a fan of New Years resolutions. Oh sure, I come up with a huge list of things I'm gonna do. If I'm lucky, I might accomplish one or two of them. Despite this, I will be spending the day reflecting on the year that has passed and envisioning the year to come. Rather than making resolutions this year, I have decided to do what I do best -- develop goals and objectives. I should be good at this given that I have had almost twenty years of experience writing them for other people! Of course, practicing what we preach is always a different story...
When developing goals for the upcoming year, it is a must to review what has been going well as well as those things for which I am thankful. Some things that come to mind:
- The year 2007 saw all of my family in good health.
- The kids continue to grow, learn, and demonstrate regularly the values that are important to my husband and I.
- Our house has been filled with more laughter (big goal of mine!).
- We spent more time with my parents this past year.
- We have decreased our outside commitments to have a less stress-free home life.
- I lost 30 pounds (but there is much more to go!).
- We were able to go out on several mini-vacations as a family.
- We joined a family gym.
- I have made more of an effort to make time for me.
There is so much more to be thankful for, but I'll keep that for my own private moments of reflection.
So what about you? What things went well for you in 2007? What are you grateful for? Share your successes!